Sunday, September 5, 2010

Duck Eggs

I know. I know.  It's been forever since I have posted. I have found that with as much work as I have had this year (and I AM NOT complaining, I feel grateful),   I  can't work and cook and blog and still have a decent personal life.  Oh yeah, and plan for a trip abroad. ;)  Well it really isn't "can't".  Simply put-" I won't".  I'm much more self indulgent than I was in my younger years.  I no longer try to take on the world.  So we will see. Perhaps I can blog on a regular basis with longer intervals, weekly maybe. 

Why blog today? Well, Breakfast this morning was inspiring. Perhaps getting my culinary juices flowing for our trip to Paris which begins on Thursday.

Earlier this week I had the pleasure of styling for the cover of the upcoming Food and Drink edition of Time Out Chicago. We made a Jamon Serrano and Duck Egg sandwich from The Purple Pig and a Pulled Pork Sandwich from Lillie's Q. (Great shoot. Fabulous people to work with. Talented photographer. A good day overall.)

I was intrigued by the duck eggs. I had never had the opportunity to work with them before.
The shell is an ivory color, smooth like fine porcelain.   Thicker than the average chicken egg shell, but with a beautiful translucent quality. The yolk is a deep golden color, much larger in proportion to the white than a chicken egg.

After the shoot I asked the photographer if I might have a few of the eggs to experiment with at home.

So today for breakfast Mike, Alex, and I enjoyed a play on The Purple Pig sandwich.

Our dear friends from Orange, CA visited with us Friday night. (Mike cooked a delicious and ambitious dinner for us that could be a post unto itself. I'll just say homemade Swiss Chard filled Ravioli in a chicken stock reduction was the second course.) Anyway, Mrs. Novy brought us a delicious Hoska, a  Bohemian Braided Raisin Bread. We enjoyed some of it with breakfast on Saturday morning.

With the left over loaf Mike toasted thick slices on the griddle . Thick cut bacon was cooked in the oven (sans the usual candied style). I  cooked the duck eggs sunny side up in a little truffle oil and a dab of truffle butter. The toast was the base, followed by the crispy bacon and egg.

A magnificent combination. The slight sweetness of the bread with an occasional raisin, the salty and crispy bacon and the duck egg. The beautiful yellow, thick, creamy yolk coating the former with its golden richness.

What more can I say. Not terribly different than a good, fresh, farm raised, free roaming chicken egg, but sublime enough to put them on my list of "sought after delicacies".

So, this posting may have been a mistake of sorts because I now have the blogging itch.

Mike and I leave on Thursday for our long awaited Parisian tryst. We have an apartment for the purposes of cooking and savoring french treats. If time allows I will post during our visit.



Au revoir and Bon appetite.

No comments:

Post a Comment