Sunday, May 24, 2009

Wheat Free Chocolate Cake

OK, I just have to break in one more time, with another version of The delicious Deep Dark Chocolate Cake.   My friend Roberta, has a gluten allergy.   As such, she has adapted many a recipe for wheat free deliciousness.

After my last post Roberta,  sent me a note about her wheat free version.

Replace the 1 3/4 flour with 1 1/2 of white rice flour plus 1/4 cup of coconut flour.
(both are by Bob's Red Mill.)  
1/4 cup extra milk is also needed.

The rest of the recipe remains the same.

Now, typically when I make gluten free products,  I also add 1/2 teaspoon of  xanthan gum to the dry ingredients. (Available at Whole Foods.)  This helps with the structure.  The cake will not rise as tall as the cake with gluten. Roberta has since told me that when she uses coconut flour she does NOT add xanthum gum.  

Roberta likes to frost her cake with white icing and press shredded coconut on to it.

Excellent even for gluten eaters.  Thanks Roberta!



No comments:

Post a Comment