Monday, May 4, 2009

Sugar Crunch Cake




As I am organizing recipes for the Family cookbook, my siblings and I are testing all of the recipes. My grandmother sometimes had 2 or 3 versions of a recipe on file.


Yesterday I began my testing with a coffee cake; The Sugar Crunch Cake.

The original recipe calls for "Spry". No doubt a depression era cake. I substituted butter with great results. The only part of the recipe I was not complete happy with is the sugar topping. Because the recipe is rather incomplete in its directions, I sprinkled the sugar topping on before placing it in the oven. It resulted in a light crunchy topping, but I wonder if the results would be even better if the topping were added during the last 3 or 4 minutes of baking. Just enough time to allow the sugar to caramelize. If anyone tries it before I have the chance let me know the results.



Sugar Crunch Cake

 350 degree oven preheated.

1 9" pan - prepared


1 3/4 c flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

3/4 cups milk


Sugar Crunch Topping

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 tabelspoons butter

2 tablespoons brown sugar


Stir together into a crumbly mixture. Set aside.


 

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter. Beat together in a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla. Add 1/2 the liquid to the dry mix. Beat to incorporate. Add the remaining liquid. Beat until smooth. Pour batter into pan. Top with sugar mixture. Bake about 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment