Thursday, March 26, 2009

High Heat Roasted Chicken




So at 5:30 today I realized that I had not brined the chicken I had originally intended to slow roast.
I needed plan "B". I split the chicken, rubbed it with a lemon and rosemary salt and pepper seasoning, and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

I then slipped it into a large ziploc bag (a large bowl or roasting pan can also be used) and brined it in an icewater bath for about 30 minutes.I used a total of about 1/8 cup of salt/seasoning mixture and an 1/8 cup of sugar. Use enough water to cover the entire chicken.

After removing it from the brine I rinsed it and placed it flesh side down on a sheet pan. I roasted it at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes. The results were great! Juicy and flavorful. I threw some sliced carrots on another tray and roasted them during the last 15 minutes . While the carrots and chicken roasted, I sauteed about 2 cups chopped radicchio and some garlic in olive oil, mixed in a drained can of cannelini beans and some rosemary and salt and the meal was complete.

Total time-about 1 1/2 hours. Active time - about 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment