Monday, June 1, 2009

Salted Caramel Ganache

The Fleur de Sel Caramel Ganache I posted recently contains a whopping pound of butter. Awesome flavor, but very high in fat. It warrants being reserved for "special" occasions.
But the caramel and salt flavors really do add depth to a ganache.  
I tried a different recipe this weekend.  White the process was a little trickier, the results were pretty good. I li
ttle more firm than the butter laden recipe, but still spread nicely when initially whipped.  I made a few adjustment, which I will include in the recipe.








Salted Caramel  Ganache


1/2 c sugar
1c heavy cream
7 oz bittersweet chocolate
5 oz milk chocolate
2 Tablespoons butter
pinch fleur de sel
Chop both Chocolates and place in a mixing bowl.  Set aside.
Make a dry caramel with sugar.  In the meantime, heat the cream in a separate saucepan.
when the caramel begins to turn dark, turn off the heat.  Let sit about 3 minutes.  When cream is hot, slowly deglaze the sugar pan with the cream. (This is where I ran in to some trouble. The sugar seized when I added the cream. I was able to dissolve it back into the cream.  Letting the sugar cool a bit should help alleviate this problem.)
Strain the cream into the chocolate. Let sit for a few minutes.  whisk gently until all of the chocolate is dissolved.  Slowly mix until chocolate is cool to touch.  Add the room temperature butter and salt.  Whip until light and spreadable.

No comments:

Post a Comment