Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pan Fried Sanpper with a "Chimichurri" style garlic sauce


Before I even go one step further. I have to apologize for the quality of my photos.  My regular camera is broken and I have been using my Iphone.  It is making me crazy. I had a decent point and shoot, but the "auto zoom" on them seems to fail after a few years.  I am thinking SLR. I really need to decide soon. Any suggestions?


In an effort to present something new and exciting to the dinner table last night, I combined a few ideas from past recipes and previous dining experiences.
  
My son loves the whole fried red snapper served at El Barco in Chicago, (http://www.elbarcorestaurant.com). So I went to the fish market and picked up some small red snappers.

Chimichurri Sauce

9 cloves garlic minced
1 small onion minced
1 tablespoon each:
minced -parsley, oregano, thyme, chive
(feel free to add what other herbs you wish)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 t sea salt
Place garlic, onion, and herbs in a small heat proof bowl. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan until shimmering. (The same one you will use for the fish- less cleanup!)
Pour the hot oil over the herb mixture and stir. Add salt. Stir and hold for fish.

Pan Fried Snapper
2 red snappers about 1 pound each
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup rice flour
seasonings of your choice
salt and pepper to taste
peanut oil

Mix the two flours together in a shallow bowl. season as desired.
Rinse, dry  and season the whole fish.
Dredge in in flour mixture.
In the mean time heat enough peanut oil in the pan to cover the fish about half way.
When oil is about 375  place fish in the pan and fry until golden. About 4 minutes on each side depending on the size of your fish.  You can see when the fish is beginning to pull away from the bone.
Drain on paper.
Serve with the herb sauce poured over it.

I fried mine in a wok, because I did not have enough peanut oil on hand for a large frying pan.  It is not ideal, but it is workable if you are careful to move the fish around so it cooks completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment